Saturday, May 17, 2008

Caprese Sandwich

This has got to be one of my all-time favorite sandwiches. Yum, yum yum :) The first thing you have to know is that Jeremy and I love Caprese Salads, that look like this:
One time I was in the Denver airport and I saw the sandwich version of this (sitting in one of those refrigerated tanks) and I decided to try it. Let me just say, that version could have been improved upon and I think I found it...so here it is, the improved version of the Caprese sandwich from the Denver airport, or really, just an amazing, yummy sandwich that makes you want to have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner (well, it makes me want to do that anyway).

Ingredients
Focaccia Bread (freshly baked is the best)
1 ripe tomato (I like to use the big tomatoes--roma ones aren't as good)
2 slices of mozzarella cheese (the good stuff you would put in the Caprese salad pictured above)
A few leaves of Basil (I sometimes just use my basil seasoning if I don't have fresh basil, but fresh is best
Olive Oil
Vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Cut your bread in half and then cut the size you want for your sandwich. Focaccia often comes in a big loaf, so you need to cut about how much you want. Put the bread on a baking sheet and drizzle some olive oil over the sides (not too much) and bake it on 425 until it's nice and crispy (but not too brown). That should take about 5-10 minutes. While that is in the oven, cut up your tomatoes and mozzarella. Then pour some olive oil and vinegar into a cup and shake it together (this might work better in a blender, but who really wants to dirty another dish?...not I, so use a cup and a spoon). This mixture will tend to separate, so I sometimes have to do it again before I drizzle it over my sandwich. Take the bread out of the oven. Layer your tomato, mozzarella and basil on top and then drizzle your oil/vinegar mixture over it. Add some salt and pepper to taste and voila! You have yourself an AMAZING Caprese sandwich. Wow...what I would give for that right now.

So...if you're in the mood for a warm, easy and incredibly delicious sandwich, give this one a try. It's sure to hit the spot.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

This is truly to die for! I love it love it love it!!